Tuesday 30 August 2016

Nevernight by Jay Kristoff

Image result for nevernightIn a land where three suns almost never set, a fledgling killer joins a school of assassins, seeking vengeance against the powers who destroyed her family.

Daughter of an executed traitor, Mia Corvere is barely able to escape her father’s failed rebellion with her life. Alone and friendless, she hides in a city built from the bones of a dead god, hunted by the Senate and her father’s former comrades. But her gift for speaking with the shadows leads her to the door of a retired killer, and a future she never imagined.

Now, Mia is apprenticed to the deadliest flock of assassins in the entire Republic—the Red Church. If she bests her fellow students in contests of steel, poison and the subtle arts, she’ll be inducted among the Blades of the Lady of Blessed Murder, and one step closer to the vengeance she desires. But a killer is loose within the Church’s halls, the bloody secrets of Mia’s past return to haunt her, and a plot to bring down the entire congregation is unfolding in the shadows she so loves.

Will she even survive to initiation, let alone have her revenge? (Goodreads) 

Nevernight isn't for new fantasy readers. If you want to dip your toes into fantasy, Nevernight isn't the place to start.  This is the sort of story for experienced high fantasy readers, who enjoy dense world building information. Even I struggled a bit at the very beginning, getting through the footnotes and info dumps but I wanted to persevere because I was sure that this would be a story I would love. I'm so glad I was right. If you're in doubt as to whether to continue at the beginning, DO. Your work will pay off. 

I'm torn over the footnotes that are added in, while I liked the interesting information we learned from them, I still don't like the use of them. I think they pull you out of the story and the characters mind and then you have to find your place again and try to slip back in, which is hard. 

Image result for nevernight
The world of Nevernight is SO unique. I've never read anything like it. From its suns to its streets its completely entrancing. Jay has really built something amazing here. I could see ( and hope) for multiple series from this world. 

I like Jay Kristoff's style of writing. The only book I've read by him is Illuminae, which he wrote with Amie Kaufman and is written in an odd style so I couldn't really judge him from that. I'm a person who enjoys long winded and flowery writing so I really enjoyed Jay's unique way of describing things. 

Mia is a great main character. Despite the book being about assassins, Mia manages to keep me rooting for her. She's brutal and deadly which on its own would make me not connect with her but she's also humble and caring. She's still a young woman with the feelings and urges of a young woman. And I love her for it. 

Nevernight reminds me a bit of Throne of Glass as in both books were the first in big high fantasy series and they started off with a simple competition story line, letting you get to know the world, the history and the characters but dropping hints started to develop the main plot for the series. 

P.S the ending will give you a dangerous amount of feels. 

4 Stars! 

No comments:

Post a Comment