Sunday 30 April 2017

Dead to Me by Lesley Pearse

27162607Dead to Me is the story of a friendship between two girls after they meet in London in 1935. Verity is well off, she goes to a private school and her family has a housekeeper. Ruby, on the other hand worries about where her next meal will come from and lives with her alcoholic mother. The girls become fast friends despite their different backgrounds. Their friendship is a joy to read, one that really makes you think about nature vs. nurture. 

However, not everything is as perfect as it seems for Verity.

After only a short time, the girls end up separated across the country, but are determined not to lose their friendship and keep in contact through letters and meetings. Their strong friendship really warmed my heart. But I knew from the blurb that 'one breaks the other's heart...'. So the whole time I was anticipating this happening, guessing as to who would do it and why right from the start. I didn't want anything to come between them!

Can the girls reconcile, even as Britain is being torn apart by war?

I wasn't expecting to love this book as much as I did. I've never read a Lesley Pearse novel before, but I've certainly heard of her and her work. I don't know why, but I think I expected the story to be shallow, something that wouldn't make me feel much. Wow, was I wrong. It's packed with emotion and depth. 

I think the only thing I might have like more of is more build up of the girls friendship before they're separated, to make me

I really liked Lesley's writing. As someone who usually reads dense, descriptive writing, her easy style was a breath of fresh air. It welcomed me into the story within the first page, and I sped through the whole novel within two days. Lesley brings to life the 1930/40's brilliantly, I could see it so clearly in my head.

The characterisation of Verity and Ruby is wonderful. They could have so easily been written as stereotypes; naive rich girl and rough poor girl. Instead Lesley has created two complex women that are addicting to read.

I highly recommend this book, whether you've read a Lesley Pearse novel before or not.  Strong female characters, female friendship and a historical setting, what more could you wish for?

I'd give it a definite 4 stars!

Thank you edpr and Darran for sending me a copy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment