Friday 2 June 2017

I WENT TO ROME! :O (Part 1)

I. GOT. TO. GO. TO. ROME.

I'm still unsure as to whether or not the whole thing was a dream. I haven't been back a week and I'm already so tempted to just book a flight back out there. For someone who loves history, Rome was overwhelmingly amazing. The structures that have survived 2000 years are honestly breathtaking.

Also: on just about every single tour we went on Hadrian's Wall and Newcastle were mentioned which had me and my friends smiling as the wall is close to where we live.

This is what I did in the week I was there:

Sunday 21st May - Arrival!

I had to get up at 3:30 in the morning to be at my friends house for 4 to drive to Leeds airport to catch our flight at 8:30. That time of the morning shouldn't even exist. It's way WAY to early.


Anyway, we got to our hotel in Rome around 3:30 in the afternoon, so after being up 12 hours already and flown manyyy miles...I looked ROUGH. So here's some pictures of/from my hotel because I look on the verge of death in the ones of me.



After dropping off our cases, we went to explore Rome a little. First mission: find the nearest metro station. Simple right? NOPE.
The directions from the hotel were at the end of the road go through the arches and you'll see it. We did that. No metro station. Turns out there's another set of arches further down the road.
Walking around in 33 degree heat trying to find a metro while jet lagged and tired definitely wasn't the highlight of my holiday!




The first thing we visited in Rome was the Ara Pacis aka this amazing marble alter. I ended up sitting down and just looking at it for most of the time we were there because SO. TIRED.

However it was really impressive. It certainly looks good for its age.







Monday 22nd May - First full day!

After a good rest we awoke refreshed and ready for our first full day in Rome. In the taxi from the airport we have been given a map of the city, which ended up being an absolute life saver for us. I honestly don't know what I would've done without it.

I ended up with the job of navigating us around the city, so my first job was to get us to the Pantheon. I can't explain how it felt to be inside that amazing building. My mouth was permanently on the floor.

Next we headed to the Spanish Steps. At this point of the day it was 34 degrees and little me who is accustomed to cold and rainy British weather was dyingggg. Even the shade is hot in Italy, the only difference is the sun isn't beating directly on you.



Image result for capuchin cryptWe then visited the Capuchin Crypt which was SUPER CREEPY. But you couldn't take pictures there, so have one from Google.

After sitting in a park and then eating at the Hard Rock cafe we went to see the Trevi Fountain as it got dark!

Funny story: It was insanely busy around the Trevi Fountain and I went to take a selfie with my friends when I heard someone ask if I'd like him to take a pic for us. My immediate response was of course and handed my phone over. I was then hit with a sinking feeling of OH GOD PLEASE DON'T RUN AWAY AND STEAL MY PHONE. Thankfully they were nice dudes who also left a cool selfie of themselves behind, which I will keep forever to laugh over.

No comments:

Post a Comment